Tag Archives: Meetings

SVRA Meeting Tuesday October 10, 2017

Please join the SVRA and community members for our upcoming SVRA meeting

Date: Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Time: 7:00 – 8:30pm

Location: Basement – Vermont Square Long-term Care Facility 914 Bathurst Street Toronto, Toronto, ON M5R 3G5

[Draft] Agenda

  • Street Rep Program*
  • Traffic and Safety initiatives – street/street requests. I.e., speed humps, Stop signs
  • Updates: Lay-bys; Palmerston Ave north Dupont pedestrian light; Mirvish Village demolition and construction schedules; OMB prehearing for 4 Corners Bathurst Bloor appeals + SVRA incorporation; Lane Naming Project
  • PUMPKIN PATCH! November 1, 2017
  • Other business

Please submit any street-specific traffic/safety initiatives, your questions or agenda item requests to the SVRA in advance of the meeting: seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com

STREET REP SYSTEM

The SVRA is recruiting community members to act as “Street Reps.”

Responsibilities: act as an information conduit between SVRA and your street neighbours. Forward/circulate information via email. Sometimes act as street representative -or find an alternate neighbour(s) willing to do so- at SVRA meetings

Qualifications: If you know a lot of your neighbours, are Chief Communication Officer for your street party, have a LOT of contact info for your street residents/neighbours, then you’re perfect for the job!

Objective: Assist with raising awareness of the SVRA,  communicate local issues, events and help provide community updates from the SVRA and Councillor Cressy/City Staff

Communication and collaboration with the neighbourhood/our neighbourhood partners are essential to ensure the SVRA is as responsive and effective as possible in addressing neighbourhood issues and to ensure meaningful approaches and treatments of these issues.  This info exchange also helps our Councillor and staff best address community issues at City Hall.
The SVRA believes its success depends on membership and a representative contact list so we can reach as many community members as possible!
The next SVRA Meeting will be November 14, 2017
Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Honest Ed's Mirvish Village Redevelopment, Meetings, Safety, Traffic, Uncategorized

University-Rosedale Election Debates : Oct 2 and Oct 5, 2015

This week offers 2 chances to see and hear the candidates in our new federal riding of University-Rosedale.

  1. Fri. Oct. 2, All-Candidate Forum  Doors open at 7 pm, Forum at 7:30 pm

Location: Bloor Street United Church 300 Bloor St w at Huron St.

Six registered candidates have confirmed their attendance: Chrystia Freeland, Liberal Party of Canada chrystia-freeland.liberal.ca/; Jennifer Hollett, New Democratic Party, jenniferhollett.com/; Simon Luisi, Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada; Steve Rutchinski, Marxist-Leninist Part of Canada, www.cpcml.ca/; Nick Wright, Green Party of Canada, www.electnickwright.greenparty.ca/ and David Berlin representing The Bridge Party of Canada

Karim Jivraj, Conservative Party of Canada, has not confirmed his attendance, www.votekarim.ca/.

2. Mon. Oct. 5, 1 Devonshire Place, 7 pm

Another local all-candidates debate, this time focused on Global Affairs, will be hosted by the Munk School of Global Affairs and the Canada International Council, Toronto branch. Reception to follow.

Topics will include Foreign Affairs, Defence, International Trade, Development Assistance, Citizenship and Immigration Policy, and others.

The debate will be livestreamed.

Event information can be found at munkschool.utoronto.ca/event/18981/; obtain a seat free of charge at www.eventbrite.com/e/university-rosedale-all-candidates-debate-on-global-affairs-registration-18522088064.

Candidates registered before September 15th have been invited, and these have confirmed attendance: Chrystia Freeland, Liberal Party of Canada; Jennifer Hollett, New Democratic Party; Steve Rutchinski, Marxist-Leninist Party of Canada; Jesse Waslowski, Libertarian Party of Canada; Nick Wright, Green Party of Canada. Karim Jivraj, Conservative Party of Canada, has not confirmed his attendance.

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

SVRA Meeting Tuesday January 13th, 2015

The next SVRA meeting is Tuesday January 13th, 2015

Time: 7:00 – 8:30pm

Location:St Albans Boys and Girls’ Club, upstairs in the AV Room (2nd floor, halfway down the hall/next to the bathroom)

We’d love to know what YOU want to discuss! Please send us agenda items: seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com

Here’s to a great 2015!

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Legal, Meetings, Park Renewal, Parks, Planning, Safety

June 9 SVRA Meeting NEWS

Highlights of the June 2010 SVRA Meeting

Send us your ideas for community events by emailing seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com. We’ll pass them on to the social committee

Annex Jazz Festival at the Trane – August 25-29. Participants include many local jazz musicians –including Jordan Klapman and Scott Marshall—plus international guests from the U.S. Join in the community street event – an outdoor sing along.

We’re planning a fund raising event for park renewal in the near future.

To report traffic concerns on Barton, go to the

police website http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/traffic or call 416-808-1900.

For information about 14 Division contacts go to http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/d14

Check the website and watch for the notice of a committee meeting about the development at the corner of Yarmouth and Christie

We’re working to improve our website – stay tuned

We’re also updating our email listing so you can get notifications of new website postings.

Minutes

Present: Jennifer Hunter, chair and president; Joan MacCallum, treasurer; Mark Fram, Chair, planning; Roxanne O’Brien, Chair, social; Maggie Groves, Peter Groves, Linda Read, Jon Osmond, Suzanna Birchwood, Jay Yedvab,  Reinhart Reithmeier, Cathy and Joe O’Connell and Mimi Choi

Regrets: Andrew Ignatieff, Park Renewal Committee; Jen Foster, Safety Committee

1. SVRA constitution: The proposed SVRA constitution has never been passed. To move this forward, it will be sent for review a neighbourhood constitutional expert and brought forward to the 2011 AGM for approval.

2. Committee mandates: The SVRA committees are traffic and safety, planning, park renewal, and social. The playground committee and dog committee are sub sets of the park renewal committee.  Each committee will bring a draft of its mandate to the July meeting, with final draft for review and approval at the September meeting. All committees are open to ideas and volunteers.

3. Communication- For improved communication:

-the website is to be reviewed and updated. Neighbourhood website experts have volunteered to help

– all agendas and minutes to be posted on website with copies of the minutes posted at Palmerston Library and St Alban (Linda Read to be responsible for the  library and St. Albans posting.)

– SVRA email member list needs updating

– of concern is how to reach members of the community who do not use computers, or may not speak English.

4. Committee Reports

  • Social Committee – committee would like to have an event in each season. Last year’s pumpkin patch and family day skate were successes that could be continued. Send ideas to Roxanne O’Brian, chair.  Suggestions so far included an end of summer BBQ at the wading pool and a movie in the park night. Suggest also build on events sponsored by other organizations.
  • Park Renewal Committee is planning a fundraiser in the near future.
  • Traffic and Safety: On May 17, Adam Vaughan and area residents walked Barton and discussed how to slow traffic on this street. Adam suggested local kids could paint the intersections in bright colourful ways to highlight them, that Fiesta Farms could deliver groceries by bicycle, that the speed limit on the school block be reduced, and a zig zag parking pattern which would slow traffic down.

-Palmerston parents and the school are beginning research about car transportation in order to make recommendations regarding traffic around the school. School – SVRA and St Albans-SVRA liaisons being set up to facilitate discussion about transportation of kids.

-Concern about cyclists on Olive ignoring stop signs and travelling fast.

-There is support for increased enforcement of the traffic by-laws. Jen will remind Adam Vaughan of his promise to ask for Barton enforcement. The community can emphasize its concern by personally calling or emailing police.

  • Planning Committee: The Chair reported that the proposed development on Christie and Yarmouth has changed substantially and requires a change in zoning, a community meeting and perhaps an OMB hearing. The city planner does not dispute the change which rearranges the already approved elements to move the larger building to face Christie and the town houses to face Yarmouth. A community meeting will be held shortly to discuss the change.

The Chair will investigate development charges for a development going up on Dupont.

5. Annex Jazz Festival: To raise the profile of Seaton Village, Suzanna Birchwood asked for support for SVRA involvement in the first Annex Jazz Festival, August 25-29 at the Trane (964 Bathurst.) The proposal is to have an “impromptu” street event – a “sing-thing” – around the corner from the Trane. Local media would be informed of the event. Other suggestions included a New Orleans style jazz parade around Seaton Village. Suzanna will work with the Social Committee to organize the SV portion of the event. There would be no promotion costs

6. All candidates Mayoralty Debate: Local residents’ associations are hosting a mayoralty debate at Trinity St. Paul’s on Tuesday June 15. Andrew Ignatieff will represent the SVRA and ask questions from our community. Suggestions for questions included the need for more indoor winter recreation space and the need for the city to be committed to the urban environment.  Thanks to Chris Scott-Dixon for creating the poster for all the residents’ associations.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, Parks, Planning, Safety, Uncategorized

June 11 Update

MEETINGS – Mark your calendars!

There are a number of meetings and events coming up that community members might want to participate in.

1. June 15 – the Mayoralty Debate at Trinity St. Paul Church, sponsored by the SVRA and other local residents’ associations.  7pm.

2. June 16 – There is a Christie Ossingto Residents’ Association (CORA) meeting at 6:30pm.  Check out the “Friends of Christie Pits” page for location.

3. June 16 – Communications Cttee SVRA meeting at the Trane (964 Bathurst) 7:30-8:30pm

4. Vermont Square Park Renewal Committee Meeting – June 22, 7pm, St. Albans Library  for updates from the city on where we are and information about park renewal.

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Meetings, Parks

SVRA Meeting Highlights March 10/10

Seaton Village Residents Associations

March 10, 2010

Attending:  C.Scott-Dixon, chair, J. MacCallum, C. Mollins, M.Choi, M. Fram,

Guests: P.King (Annex Gleaner)

Agenda

-Report back on park renewal:

City will develop a time line using a fast track hiring process, committee will finalize a high level design brief, AGM will be used for consultation prior to hiring design team. There was discussion about the basis for hiring consultant – if lowest bidder, based on design cost or construction cost? And also, concern that if lowest bidder, how to get consultant we want.  These 2 questions to be clarified with city.

There was discussion about the topic of the consultation and the need for a facilitator.  It was suggested as a possible approach to invite the short list firms to make a short presentation on their vision of the park, based on the design brief and the initial submission to the city. There would be opportunity for questions and then for community to indicate its preferences for elements that had been presented.

-AGM: date to be coordinated with councilors office (Joan to contact Dale); work with councillor to book Palmerston school

-Mayoral debate :

It was agreed to pursue this with neighbouring  communities.

-Social committee:

It was agreed to put the possible formation of a social committee on the agenda of the AGM

Suggested events-pumpkin patch, family day skate, possible fireworks event in the park  and a fourth adult focus event

-Website: Mimi will work with Chris on website

3 Comments

Filed under Meetings

February 3/10 Traffic Meeting

About  100 people attended.

It was agreed that the main issue is speed not access or volume.

The safety committee is regrouping this year.  Email us at seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com if you want to know more.

(if you can’t access this link it’s because I’m new at this, just copy and paste!)

MEETING HIGHLIGHTS


Suggested ways of making the street less comfortable to speed on:
– Traffic circles
– Paint it with stripes to make it look narrower
– Possible additional parking spaces on Barton
– Lower speed limit from 40 to 30
– Install yellow school signs and residential areas signs
– More speed traps
– Drive  SLOWLY
– Paint intersections to make them more obvious

Councillor Adam Vaughan committed to the following actions:
– Will not do any left turns signs
– Will request more police enforcement
– Ask a traffic calming expert (not city traffic engineers) for suggestions
– Create a few more parking spots
– Look at critical intersections, especially around school
– Study possible implications of removing traffic light at Christie and replacing it with a pedestrian light

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, Safety