|14 Division – Mobile Community Station Initiative recent arrest Sexual Assult in the Christie Street & Bloor Street West area
On Thursday, October 25, 2012 between the hours of 6:00 PM and 9:00 PM Auxiliary Officers from 14 Division will be setting up and manning a Mobile Community Station in the vicinity of Christie Pits. The Mobile Station will be set up out front of the Bickford Centre, 777 Bloor Street West as part of a community initiative regarding the recent arrest for the Sexual Assaults. Officers will be focusing their efforts in this area and handing out flyers. We encourage community members to drop by and provide any further information they may have in relation to the investigation.
Some safety tips:
- Be alert and aware of your surroundings at all times.
- Trust your instincts. •Walk with a purpose.
- Limit the use of electronic devices.
- Follow the safest route possible.
- Walk in the centre of the sidewalk away from doorways and parked vehicles.
- Tell others where you are going and when you are expected to return. Arrange to check in with them if you want.
- Follow the safest route possible. Walk on the side of the street where you can best see around you.
- Have your house keys or car keys ready in your hand. •Avoid overburdening yourself with parcels. Carry your purse close to you but do not wrap it around your neck, shoulder or hand.
- If you suspect you are being followed, get away fast, cross the street and go directly to the nearest well lit or populated area or place of safety. If you still feel you are being followed, turn and in a loud voice say, “Are you following me.” Go to an occupied building or flag down a taxi and ask the driver to call the police.
- Plan your route for places of safety. Police or Fire station, variety store, mall or crowded area. •Never be afraid to draw attention to the fact that you feel at risk.
These tips will help to reduce the potential for assault.
Constable Gord Reid, Crime Prevention, 14 Division
Message Prepared by P.C. Reid #1703