The SVRA will be meeting from 7:00 – 8:30 pm Wednesday February 9th 2011 at St. Albans’, upstairs in the library.
The meeting will feature Ed Janiszewski, a member of the Community History Project. Ed intends to resurrect the plan to name the 52 lanes in Seaton Village, first attempted by the SVRA in 2008.
With a map display provided by the Community History Project (CHP), Ed will give some background of the city’s plan to name lanes, the successful Cabbagetown effort, contacts with Cabbagetown and Harbord Village Resident’s Association, the CHP resources, and offer some examples of noted former residents of Seaton Village.
Ed informed us that he will be looking for support from the SVRA to involve the neighbourhood in suggesting lane names, in researching their appropriateness, and using the SVRA website and possibly poster displays, interviewing residents and business owners, using archival records and newspaper archives to authenticate selected names.
While Ed is happy to take a lead role, participation from the neighbourhood is needed to have city approval for funds.
We hope you can join us to hear more about this project and participate in what we hope will be a lively discussion.
Note: Jane Beecroft, Board member of the Toronto Historical Association, the Community History Project and the Toll keeper’s Cottage will be our key speaker at our March SVRA meeting to tell us all about the history of our fine neighbourhood.
We look forward to seeing everyone at the upcoming meetings!
7:00 – 8:00 Lane Naming initiative: Ed Janiszewski
8:00 – 8:30
- Park renewal update: please see park renewal page for the latest revisions to the master plan drawings
- Upcoming Social and Community Events: The Stirrup Cup and Family Skate – need participants, cheering squad and for the skate VOLUNTEERS to help with membership, cash, hot chocolate flow etc…
- Traffic Committee update – Adam Vaughan/City reccomendations to Barton Ave traffic flow and brief
- SafetyCommittee: Neighbourhood Watch – quick update
- Website: changes including Membership.
Agenda may be subject to some changes.