Monthly Archives: January 2011

The Stirrup Cup!

Well, if you are looking for a fun-filled and zany way to celebrate a chilly Saturday afternoon, then the SVRA has THE perfect opportunity for you!

The Stirrup Cup

According to the Oxford Dictionary, a Stirrup Cup is a cup of wine presented to someone who is mounted with feet in stirrups and ready to ride in the hunt or other activity necessitating riding upon horseback. In the 1960s and 70s, the cartoonist Walt Kelly had his characters create songs actually, the lyrics for songs for which some fine music was later rvritten. One of the songs goes as follows:
 
I was stirrin’ up a stirrup cup
In a stolen sterling stein,
 When I chanced upon a ladle
Who was once my valentine
 Etc., etc… 
 
 The Community History Project, in opening its museum (The Tollkeeper’s Cottage, located in the Tollkeeper’s Park at the northwest corner of Davenport and Bathurst Streets) felt that the time had come to make use of the surrounding parkland with activities or events from time to time. Linked with this, is CHPs desire to bring to all parts of its large study area (Don River to Dufferin, just below Bloor to just north of St. Clair) some awareness of the other parts and the people involved in maintaining stewardship over the heritage assets of each part. Since heritage preservation is a frustrating – and often infuriating business, it was also decided that the initiative should also contain some elements of fun.
 Accordingly, CHP brought together various aspects of history in creating The Stirrup Cup. The “cup” is a stainless steel pail, with handles made from real stirrups which one enterprising member obtained at the racetrack (horse never identified, but was probably not a winner). This large “cup” could handle several quarts of wine if necessary as well as the heat. A “cup” requires a competition of some sort, and another enterprising member donated two pairs of skis for a typically Canadian competition. But since the competition involves communities rather than individuals, the pairs of skis are made for teams rather than individuals. Each team consists of four people who, together, make the skis move, plus another four people who make up that team’s cheering section. Four people actually skiing on a single pair of skis is not as easy as it sounds; in truth, it is an exercise in hilarity. The racecourse is marked out in the park with flags, the teams have a starting line, and when the signal to begin racing is given, the object of the exercise is for each team to try to race through the course and reach the finish line. The winners and losers then repair to the Tollkeeper’s Cottage to enjoy a Stirrup Cup together reversing the order of consumption set for the old British foxhunt, and rnaintaining the character of the stirrup cup set by Walt Kelly for the characters in his comic strip, “Pogo”.
 The Stirrup Cup is a competition by invitation only and is offered intermittently by the Community History Project at theTollireeper’s Cottage and Park.
 This year, the competition is to take place on Saturday February 19th, from 11 am until I pm.
 
The course, regardless of weather, will be marked out in advance by CHP members, and might be altered during the course of the race. The judge for the 2011 competition is City Councillor Joe Mihevc, who is free to set the rules for the race, and flee to change same as he pleases. The cup itself will remain inside the Tollkeeper’s Cottage so that the wine can be properly mulled and heated, then served with appropriate refleshments some of which will be for the winners, if there are any.
 
 

 

2011 COMPETITORS INVITED ARE:
  THE SEATON VILLAGE RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION  VS THE NEIGHBOURS OF ST. ALBAN’S PARK 

 

 Anyone wanting to participate, please contact the SVRA at seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com 

This promises to be A LOT of FUN!!!

We look forward to any and all supporters as well; the more the merrier….hope to see you there!

All the best, Jennifer and the SVRA



Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Uncategorized

City Budget 2011

 

From Ward 20 Councillor Adam Vaughan:

 Dear Ward 20 residents & businesses,

I wrote to you in December to let you know that the new Mayor has produced a schedule for the development and review of the City’s budget that is shorter and faster than any budget process in our City’s life.

The new mayor has already reduced the City’s revenue options by eliminating the Vehicle Registration Tax and promising to sustain last year’s property tax rates. This will make for some tough choices regarding service delivery.

I believe that Council needs to hear from you – residents and business operators – about your priorities in order to make the best decisions.  However, there will be no public deputations at Committee or Council. None of the public consultations planned will be in or near downtown Toronto.

Please come out to the closest public forum to have your say:

 

Toronto City Council, Budget Committee – Public Consultation

 

Date:                         Wednesday January 19, 2011

Time:                         6:00 pm

Location:                  East York Civic Centre, Council Chamber

850 Coxwell Ave, NW corner of Coxwell and Mortimer

To get there on Public Transit:

Take the subway to Coxwell, then the O’Connor bus #70 north on Coxwell.

If you wish to make a deputation:

Please notify the City Clerk, Budget Committee, by calling 416-392-1032 or 416-397-7768,

or e-mail buc@toronto.ca no later than 12 p.m. on January 18, 2011.

There will be a 5 minute time limit for each presentation.

To submit written comments:

Write to the Budget Sub-Committee, c/o Merle MacDonald of the City Clerk’s office.  You can email buc@toronto.ca or fax 416-392-1879.

There are also sessions in North York, Scarborough and Etobicoke-York.  Details can be found on the City’s website: http://www.toronto.ca/budget2011/ads.htm.


You are also invited to:

 

A Downtown Budget Information Session

Co-hosted by Councillors Kristyn Wong-Tam, Pam McConnell & Adam Vaughan

 

 

Date:                Saturday January 22, 2011

Time:               2 – 4 pm

Location:          City Hall, Council Chambers

                        100 Queen Street West

The City’s Budgets for Operating and Capital expenses were released yesterday.

Service cuts are proposed that I am worried about. They include:

-Closing of the Urban Affairs Library at Metro Hall

-Elimination of free recreation programs for low-income people

-Elimination of evening and night service on 40+ transit routes, including buses on Dupont, Davenport & Harbord

-Changes to EMS staffing protocols that would eliminate overtime work

-Limits on the new BIAs and funding for streetscape improvements

Detailed information about the proposed budget is available on the City of Toronto’s website at  http://www.toronto.ca/budget2011/index.htm

Mark your calendar and come out to learn more about how the 2011 Budget will impact our local neighbourhoods and services.  Everyone is welcome.

RSVP to councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca or call 416 392-4044.


If you have received this as a forward from a friend, and would like to receive future communications from my office, please send an email to councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca with the subject line “SUBSCRIBE”.

Sincerely,

Adam

Councillor Adam Vaughan

Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina

416-392-4044

Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite C50
Toronto, ON      M5H 2N2

———————————–

visit us online at  www.ward20.ca

———————————–

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Transparency and accountability are important to Councillor Vaughan, our team and the City of Toronto.  If you have scheduled a meeting with anyone in Councillor Vaughan’s office, you may be required to register as a Lobbyist. The City of Toronto’s regulations are quite broad in the definition of LOBBYING. 

Regardless of the nature of your communication or meeting request you are advised to check for more information online http://www.toronto.ca/lobbying/index.htm

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Legal, Meetings, Planning, Uncategorized

SVRA Meeting January 12th AGENDA

7:00 – 8:00      14 Division PC Mike Murphy Community Response Speaker and Update

8:00 – 8:30 Business Rising

  • Fort York Visitor Centre letter of support
  • Park Renewal Update
  • Committee Updates: Traffic and City Hall
  • Upcoming Seasonal Events/Projects: Family Day Skate February 21st 2-4pm, next meeting/lane naming
  • Website and Gmail account content
  • Who is Bill Bolton’s next manager?!

We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on Wednesday February 9th 7 – 9:00pm in the libary at St. Albans’. Our special guest speaker will be Ed Janiszewski, a noted local historian.

Topic: Seaton Village Lane Naming initiative!

Ed is a great supporter of the lane naming project. Please come hear him speak, learn more about the project and past projects that have been successfully completed (HVRA and Cabbagetown.) Not a fan of the project? Please come out and tell us why!

SEATON VILLAGE FAMILY DAY SKATE February 21st 2:00 -4:00    Bill Bolton Arena

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Meetings, Park Renewal, Planning, Safety, Uncategorized

SVRA Meeting January 12th 2011

Happy New Year Seaton Village!

The SVRA held its first meeting of 2011 on Wednesday January 12 at St. Alban’s, after a bit of a breather over the holidays.

14 Divisions’ PC Mike Murphy came to follow up with us about the Crime situation that was plaguing Seaton Village throughout the fall.

While the number of home and automobile B&Es have declined significantly, there have been reports of homes continuing to be broken into via a rear entry point, and articles such as keys, laptops and those easily converted to cash, like jewelry have been taken. Area cars continue to be targeted. Most of the crime in our Zone (3) of 14 Division has been commercial “smash and grab”  and 3 significant arrests have been made relating to these crimes.

 VIGILANCE is so important!

So is calling it in – reporting enables the police to link and reference crimes. Reporting can result in an officer attending the crime scene and filing a report. An occurrence number will be generated that will correspond to the report. The police use a program called KIPS  in case of arrest that operates using and relies on the information gathered from the reports that are filed. It is all interdependent. So CALL IT IN – no matter how large or small the crime.

PC Murphy advised us that should a victim of a crime want a copy of the police report they must go to headquarters (with their occurrence number) to request this in person and a service fee is required. He informed us insurance companies typically pursue this and absorb the fee.

14 Division has increased the number of plain clothes officers patrolling the neighbourhood and walking the laneways.

ACTION: The SVRA is initiating a Neighbourhood Watch program. We are also looking into a number of fun community events partnering with area business and BIA’s, St. Albans’ Boys and Girls’ Club and our neighbours to the west Christie Pits Resident’s Association. More details to come soon!

Please email us at seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com if you’d like to be a part of this!

To read Safety Chair John Trenholme’s safety brief that includes police call numbers and procedure to reporting a crime please read: Community Awareness Document_draft1

Park Renewal Update: The Vermont Square Park renewal team chair Andrew Ignatieff has prepared this report to update the community of the park renewal process. To read the report: Vermont Square Park renewal update January 2011

Some Palmerston Ave residents have concerns with placing game tables and a paved pathway in front of St. Albans considering this will simply lead to further challenges with noise and teens from St. Albans’ lingering after evening programming at the club is done.

The matter was discussed with 2 members of the VSPRC who were in attendance. 

ACTIONS:

  • This will be brought to the attention of Andrew Ignatieff, VSPRC Chair;
  • The group of concerned Vermont Ave resident’s will create a letter stating their postion and possible alternative locations for the games tables to be submitted to the SVRA/VSPRC;
  • The group is going to explore whether availabe WiFi outside of St. Albans’ might be a part of the problem;
  • Jennifer will continue to build relations and improve communication with St. Albans’
  • PC Murphy suggested noise complaints be called in to 14 Division.

Fort York Visitor Centre letter of support: The Harbord Village Residents’ Association has requested we support the City of Toronto’s request to the province asking them to make $5 million contribution to the planned Fort York Visitor Centre.   

 The HVRA board was unanimous in its support, and  believes that this Centre has the potential to invigorate an important downtown neighbourhood, bring much-needed attention to a vital part of our history, and become an important resource for all the residents of our downtown neighbourhoods and beyond.

 I brough this request to the attention of the SVRA executive and the letter to the SVRA meeting Wednesday night. The letter was read by those in attendance and the motion was passed to endorse  the City’s cost-sharing request. 

ACTIONI will send modified versions of the letter to the key ministers, as well as the Premier. 

If you are interested in reading this letter and personally sending a letter of endorsement and require contact info please click here: Ft Yk let Dalton and Here are the four Ontario ministers to whom letters should be sent 

Seaton Village Traffic update: Councillor Adam Vaughan has taken concerns voiced by Seaton Village residents and some possible solutions to council for approval. Councillor Vaughan is awaiting reports back from City Staff and will be calling an open community meeting in the very near future to discuss the traffic situation and provide reccomendations from the City. Jenny Foster is also working on some neighbourhood-based solutions with St. Alban’s Boys and Girls’ Club such as the creation of some fantastically painted key intersections in the neighbourhood.

It was suggested by a few at the meeting that we consider painting key intersections in a “Zebra crossing” pattern and position larger stop signs at intersections known to be “stoptional.”

A group of Palmerston Ave residents living directly across from St. Albans’ commented on the surge in traffic during morning and evening drop off and pick up times. They are really frustrated by the congestion and commented on serious safety concerns around illegilly parked cars on both the east and west side of Palmerston just south of Vermont.

The traffic calming planters were also suggested to be anything but “calming” and contribute to the chaos and frustration of motorists and pedestrians at the north and south points of the intersection at Palmerston and Vermont. They are perceived as dangerous.

ACTION: Jennifer will discuss this with Traffic Chair Jenny Foster and bring this to the attention of Councillor Vaughan to be discussed at the upcoming City traffic meeting TBA. 

Bill Bolton Arena has a new manager. The SVRA would like to welcome Larry Powers to the neighbourhood!  We look forward to a great relationship with Larry and know he’s going to be a great addition to Bill Bolton and Seaton Village. We would also like to thank Jim Oreto for his years of dedication to Bill Bolton, to hockey and for enriching the neighbourhood providing such great leadership and fantastic porgramming at the rink. To access the arena’s website: http://www.billbolton.ca/

The Website: coming soon -2 new sections on the website “Community Notice Board” and “Who are the People in Our Neighbourhood” Please continue to visit  the website over the next few weeks for some great additional content – it will take a bit of time to get this sorted, so thanks for you patience.

Communication: Jennifer asked whether it was deemed appropriate to send messages from the SVRA to the contact and membership lists. It was unanimously passed that community-related notices be sent out and Jennifer will continue to moderate with the understanding the SVRA does not endorse them, but will continue to act as a portal of community-related information (especially given the state of our community notice board in the park!)

We look forward to seeing you at our next meeting on Wednesday February 9th 7 – 9:00pm in the libary at St. Albans’. Our special guest speaker will be Ed Janiszewski, a noted local historian.

Topic: Seaton Village Lane Naming initiative!

Ed is a great supporter of the lane naming project. Please come hear him speak, learn more about the project and past projects that have been successfully completed (HVRA and Cabbagetown.) Not a fan of the project? Please come out and tell us why!

SEATON VILLAGE FAMILY DAY SKATE February 21st 2:00 -4:00    Bill Bolton Arena

All the best,

Jennifer Hunter

Leave a comment

Filed under Community Events, Meetings, Park Renewal, Planning, Safety, Uncategorized