Monthly Archives: February 2010

February 3/10 Traffic Meeting

About  100 people attended.

It was agreed that the main issue is speed not access or volume.

The safety committee is regrouping this year.  Email us at seatonvillagetoronto@gmail.com if you want to know more.

(if you can’t access this link it’s because I’m new at this, just copy and paste!)

MEETING HIGHLIGHTS


Suggested ways of making the street less comfortable to speed on:
– Traffic circles
– Paint it with stripes to make it look narrower
– Possible additional parking spaces on Barton
– Lower speed limit from 40 to 30
– Install yellow school signs and residential areas signs
– More speed traps
– Drive  SLOWLY
– Paint intersections to make them more obvious

Councillor Adam Vaughan committed to the following actions:
– Will not do any left turns signs
– Will request more police enforcement
– Ask a traffic calming expert (not city traffic engineers) for suggestions
– Create a few more parking spots
– Look at critical intersections, especially around school
– Study possible implications of removing traffic light at Christie and replacing it with a pedestrian light

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, Safety

Update ! Vermont Square Park Renewal

The Vermont Square Park Renewal Committee met on January 28.

The big news is that the funding for the park is coming sooner than originally expected!

The first chunk will come this year, and the main revitalization will happen in 2011.  Watch this space for information about the next Renewal Committee meeting which will be in MARCH.

Check out the minutes from the January 28 meeting here

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings, Parks, Planning, Uncategorized

Jan 28/10 Minutes – Vermont Square Park Renewal

Vermont Square Park Renewal Committee

Meeting Minutes

January 28, 2010

Attending: A Ignatieff – Chair, M Desjardins, B Luker, D Moser, J MacCallum, P Tonin, C Mollins

Agenda

  • Approved minutes of November meeting
  • It was confirmed that city funding for park renewal is approved and Adam V will announce it at the Feb 3 community meeting.
  • Group reaffirmed the 4 priorities previously agreed to:
  1. Restoring functionality of open space
  2. Playground needs improving and to be brought up to code
  3. Revitalizing under developed sections
  4. Encourage planning for year round use
  • Group reaffirmed the underlying values for redevelopment:
  1. Multifunctional use
  2. Intergenerational mixed use
  3. Sustainability with respect to environment
  4. Economically viable
  5. Pay greater attention to accessibility (in the broad sense of the word)
  • Process for redevelopment should include:
    • Ongoing community responsibility
    • Transparency of process
    • Partnerships with city departments including Parks and Recreation, Urban Forestry
    • Working closely with community partners including St Albans, Bill Bolton
  • It was agreed that the association should message to Adam Vaughan that:
    • The community is fully engaged and wishes to work in a partnership model
    • Communicate our underlying principles of  process and values
  • Given the city timelines for the project, it was agreed the community consultation schedule should use the spring to focus and summer to reaffirm

Action:

  • Rebecca to contact all leads in other park renewals with respect to their experience with various designers, city consultants etc to inform our input into design team selection
  • Ensure the person responsible for selection of designer is aware of our principles
  • Rebecca to contact Brenda Patterson, copy Adam V, Dale D and Bob Duguid to indicate”

-Park renewal committee has met

-further to the Feb 3 announcement, here are our principles ( as above)

– look forward to meeting Adam in first week of March

  • Consultation
    • Group to meet again to figure out questions to ask community for consultation
    • Consultation process: possible charette. Bob Luker to contact Palmerston neighbour landscape architect to inquire if he could run a charette or advise on who else could

Next meeting: there will not be a February meeting.  Check website for announcement of next meeting.

1 Comment

Filed under Meetings, Parks

Family Day Skating Party

Family Day Skating Party

The Seaton Village Residents’ Association presents the first annual,

Family Day Skating Party!

When: Monday, February 15th 2:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Where: Bill Bolton Arena

Featuring entertainment by Bonkers the Clown and free hot chocolate.

So dust off your skates, bundle up the family and head on down to Bill Bolton Arena this Family Day afternoon and enjoy some ice time with your family, friends and neighbours!

1 Comment

Filed under Community Events

February SVRA Meeting

The February SVRA meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 10th from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at the St. Alban’s Boys and Girls Club Library (2nd floor),843 Palmerston Avenue, Toronto.

Agenda:

1. Adoption of agenda (additional items)

2. Minutes of January 13, 2010

3. Business arising: Barton Street Traffic Meeting Summary, Vermont Square Park Renewal Update

4. Committee Reports: Parks (Greg), Playground (Jennifer), Safety (Mimi), Planning (Les)

5. Community Updates: Family Day Skate at Bill Bolton

6. Other business

If you are interested in finding out more about the upcoming events in your community or are keen to meet up with your friends and neighbours, please drop by the February SVRA meeting and introduce yourself.  If you wish to see any other topics discussed, please send us an email and we’ll be happy to include them during the meeting.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

January 13, 2010 Minutes

SVRA
January 13 2010
Monthly Meeting
Attending: R Sugarman, chair, J MacCallum, J Wagner, A Anderson, M Choi, S Conlin, J Foster, L Coramai, J Hunter,
Minutes of previous meeting were approved with amendment regarding the left turn to Barton. Amended that city traffic planners did not support it but local councilor and city council did support it.
Agenda
Park
Adam Vaughan’s office confirmed that SVRA park money has been approved. It was noted that SVRA should ask that the terms of reference for the city consultant for the project include the need for community consultation.
Traffic
Core issue is kids going to school safely
Information update:
-Mimi has received some traffic count data from the city but it is outdated.
-Letter from the daycare to the city was signed by members of daycare board and parent council.
– There will be a community meeting Feb 3 at Palmerston School with AV who will announce left turn restrictions from Christie onto Barton as a temporary measure to study impact. City will do a “pre change” traffic count
Discussion about forming working committee:
-need to link with school, both daycares and SVRA (propose reviving the SVRA Safety Committee). A designated rep from each group will be invited to the working committee
Discussion about making the streets around the park more inviting
Family Day Skate
There will be an SVRA skating party at Bill Bolton Feb 15, 2-4pm
-Looking for ways to make the event more inviting.
–Suggestion to have materials for children to decorate their helmets. Mimi to find out about the clown who makes balloon hats
–Jennifer to ask Madelines about possible participation
— Rebecca to find out whether snack shop will be open and options for providing hot chocolate
Crime
Agreed to invite a member of the police to come to the next meeting to talk about safety proofing your house.
Lane Naming
J.Wagner will investigate how to go about this for Seaton Village and report back.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Councillor Vaughan Responds to Barton Street Meeting

February 5, 2010

Dear Seaton Village Residents,

First off, thanks to all who attended Wednesday night’s meeting. It was a creative and frank discussion of the traffic issues in the neighbourhood. The issue of how we make it safer and easier for kids to walk to school has been embraced by all who attended. A mutual respect for each other’s traffic conditions was also highlighted and appreciated by those who attended.

Thanks in particular to Rebecca Sugarman and the Seaton Village Residents Association for organizing everything.

For those who couldn’t make it but have written to my office with advice, concerns and ideas – thank you for your input as well.

The proposed left hand turn restriction on Barton will not be implemented.

While many residents of Barton in particular supported this idea, the proposal raised legitimate concerns with other neighbours in the community. The common concern that was voiced is clear: we need to find a way to control cut-through commuter traffic in the neighbourhood.

Cut-through traffic poses two problems. It increases the volume of vehicles, and it tends to increase the speed of traffic. The velocity of traffic contributes to rolling stops, conflicts with pedestrians and noise. Quite often it also results in confused or frustrated motorists driving the wrong way down one way streets.

It was also noted that construction on Bathurst has been heavy for the last 18 months. This has shifted some traffic to Christie. To circumvent the Dupont/Bathurst intersection, many drivers have been traveling southbound down Christie and eastbound across Barton to access Bathurst south of Dupont.

There was also information presented that indicates that car use on Barton has gone from 2,500 cars to 3,400 cars per day since the traffic maze in Seaton Village was instituted. An increase in the number of people driving in the city and an increase in the number of people driving to the school in the community are two factors that have contributed to the increase in traffic on Barton. Much of the increase, however, is due to the role Barton Avenue now plays in the community.

Barton is the street that gets a large number of local residents to and from their houses. Traffic counts indicate that the overwhelming majority of cars on Barton come from within Seaton Village. Nothing will change that. Re-opening the bitter debate or re-visiting the complex traffic maze instituted in Seaton Village years ago will not solve this problem. The process to review the maze would be complex and difficult, creating more anger than solutions.

Still, something needs to be done.

At the meeting, we came to a consensus that if speeds could be controlled, the streets would be safer, and that a slower street might also deter outside traffic from cutting through the neighbourhood.

The neighbourhood association, residents of Barton and my office will begin work on the following ideas suggested by people in the community who attended the meeting:

SHORT TERM

-Enforcement – ask the police to catch one-way violations and rolling stops.

-Reduce the speed limit to 30kph.

-Re-paint intersections and refresh the one-way and stop signs in the neighbourhood with a view to looking at larger signs and better positioning of signs.

ADDITIONAL WORK

-Engage a street designer to explore traffic calming ideas for Barton. More parking, narrow lane markers, new intersection design, and alternate paving styles will be explored.

-Planters: review placement and design; work towards better plantings for those that remain so that they look nicer.

-Education: contact the school. Explore Pedestrian Safety courses for students. Work on a driver awareness campaign for parents dropping off kids. Distribute a notice to area residents about traffic concerns in the neighbourhood.

This final point was one of the best ideas of the night: encourage residents of Seaton Village (especially parents dropping kids off at school, the rink and the Boys and Girls Club) to drive slowly, very s-l-o-w-l-y! If we reduce speed, stop and pause at stop signs, thereby calming the traffic with our cars, then the cut-through commuters won’t be able to speed or race through intersections or fly over the speed bumps. This idea can be acted on now.

If you are interested in following this process, please contact your residents association through their website at http://www.seatonvillage.ca. If you’d like to work on some of these ideas, please contact my office at 416-392-4044 or councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca

Regards,

Adam Vaughan

Councillor Adam Vaughan
Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina
416-392-4044

Toronto City Hall
100 Queen Street West
2nd Floor, Suite C50
Toronto, ON M5H 2N2

———————————–

visit us online at http://www.ward20.ca

1 Comment

Filed under Meetings