Now that a tentative agreement has been reached by City workers, the SVRA has decided to CANCEL the second garbage collection, slated for July 29. It may be a few more days before ratification and before the trucks start running, so please be patient!
Thanks to everyone who has helped out or helped organise this effort.
According to Henny Markus, our resident tree expert, the big elm that sits just on the east side of the main field in Vermont Square Park is going to be cut down this week or next. After a few neighbours noticed serious cracks in the tree, Henny spoke to the city forestry staff. They subsequently informed her that the tree cannot be saved, because there are also other issues with the tree that pose too great a risk.
Again, timing is slated for this week or next.
Henny is going to advise St. Albans so that their outdoor camping activities can be rearranged for the day. If you have questions please send them to Henny via the SVRA email.
Finally, if you have ideas about what, if anything, should replace the elm, please write the SVRA via our email.
Due to the protracted negotiations between Municipal Workers and the City of Toronto and its continued effect on waste collection, the Seaton Village Residents’ Association is organizing a second waste bin collection for the residents of Seaton Village. The second waste bin will be held on one day during the week of July 26 to August 1, 2009, and is open to all residents of Seaton Village. (Seaton Village is defined by the City of Toronto as the residential area between Bloor street to Dupont street, Christie street to Bathurst street).
Although we would like to see the waste created by all of our city communities diverted away from our parks and into their proper waste streams, due to the volume of the waste, we cannot collect waste from our friends and neighbours outside of Seaton Village. We urge anyone outside of the Seaton Village boundaries to work with their local residents’ associations or community groups to work together to keep our parks clean and free of dumps.
The date of the second bin collection has been set for Tuesday, July 28, 2009. The location of the bin will be posted at 4:00 PM on Tuesday, July 28th.
The SVRA Vermont Square Park Renewal Team is preparing a report to send to our councillor, Adam Vaughan, about the need and plans for our park.
We need your help.
If you have any pictures of the park from the 1980s or 1990s (or even the early 2000s) of the existing playground, or of the park’s main lawn, please send them to the SVRA.
We want to clearly demonstrate to the city that our park is overdue for an upgrade.
Here’s how to send pictures:
- If they are digital email them to us.
- If they are hard copy, drop them in the mailbox at 15 Olive Avenue with a note.
- In all cases, if the photo doesn’t have the date on it, try to approximate the date on a sticky note.
- Leave your return information in case we need to contact you for additional information on the photo.
Once the report is drafted we will be posting it on line in early September to get your feedback before sending it to Adam Vaughan.
Thanks for your help!
Tug of War at the Clinton Street Party, 2008
The residents of Clinton Street are hosting their 3rd annual Clinton Street Summer Festival on Saturday, July 18th. It all kicks off at 12 noon with a costumed parade starting at Barton Street and heading south to Bloor Street. A host of local bands will serve up an eclectic homebrew of fine music ranging from gospel to jazz to bluegrass. You’ll find a by donation bbq, loads of kids activities and events for all ages. Come on down for a visit and feel that Clinton Vibe!
On Thursday, July 9, SVRA President, Rebecca Sugarman met with Councillor Adam Vaughan to discuss the next steps to be taken for the community development of Vermont Square Park.
The highlights of that meeting are as follows:
- The SVRA are to organize a plan demonstrating need and broad concepts for the park by this Fall. The plan will help the Councillor discuss our projects with the Parks Department as it plans its multi-year budgets.
- The SVRA aim to post a draft plan on this site in early September and ask for feedback from the Seaton Village community. Following input from the residents, the SVRA will send the revised plan to the Councillor. Our goal is to get the plan to Councillor Vaughan by September 30, 2009.
- The funding will be in two phases – the first phase will be to hire a consultant to fine tune the concepts we present, and the second phase will be for the purchase and installation of equipment. All of the funding is for capital projects, so it is not to be used for basic maintenance, but rather, for items like playground equipment, water irrigation systems, an amphitheatre, or whatever items or construction that the community wants to purchase to improve our park.
- The councillor supports our launching a fundraising campaign this coming year and will help us figure out how to manage charitable donations. He has also agreed to write a letter in support of our case to potential corporate funders.
Anyone interested in working on the fundraising committee or in volunteering in any way should contact the SVRA through our email address, and address the email to Rebecca Sugarman.
We are interested in your interest in our park.
Also if you have a specific skill that would help us with this work we would love to hear from you. For example: landscape designers – if you are out there, please let us know.
Filed under Parks, Planning
Seaton Village Garbage Collection, June 29, 2009
Thanks to everyone who participated in the Seaton Village Residents’ Association waste bin collection on June 29, 2009. It was a wonderful opportunity for neighbours to meet, make some new friends and to divert waste to its proper waste stream and away from our parks.
Should the Municipal strike continue through the next few weeks, the Seaton Village Residents’ Association will organize a second waste bin collection for residents of Seaton Village. A date, time and location will be announced on this website, should a second collection be necessary.