Today, the City of Toronto announced that the Christie Pits ice rink (among other areas throughout the city) would be designated as a temporary drop off site for municipal waste during the garbage strike of 2009. The use of our public parks to store garbage is not a positive development in the negotiation of municipal workers and the City and health of the immediate surrounding area is a concern.
To minimize the use of our parks as dumping grounds, the Seaton Village Residents’ Association is organizing a one time garbage removal for our neighbourhood early next week. On Monday, June 29th, a garbage bin will be placed within Seaton Village for a period not exceeding eighteen hours. During that time, residents of Seaton Village may dispose of their green and grey garbage bin waste for a suggested donation of $5 per bag (to offset the cost of bin rental).
On Monday, June 29 at 4:00 PM to Tuesday, June 30 at 9:00 AM, you:
- may bring your usual green and grey bin garbage bins
- may NOT bring blue bin recycling materials.
- may NOT dump household items or home renovation materials.
- MUST double bag all your garbage
- MUST put the garbage in the dumpster – PLEASE RESPECT YOUR NEIGHBOURS WHO DO NOT WANT YOUR GARBAGE SITTING OUTSIDE THEIR HOMES.
The location of the temporary waste bin will be announced through this website on Monday, June 29 at 3:00 PM.