March SVRA Meeting Minutes

Seaton Village Residents Association Meeting Minutes March 11/09

Attendees: Chris Scott- Dixon, Leslie Endes, Joan MacCallum, Luke, Jennifer Hunter, Avrum Regenstaff, Rhoda Regenstaff, Carl Mollins.
February minutes approved by Chris and seconded by Joan.
Agenda for March 11th meeting approved.

AGM: New Date for Annual General meeting is Wednesday May 6th from 7-9pm at Palmerston Ave Public School.
Adam Vaughan is confirmed for the evening (thus the switch from April date.)
Speakers for the evening will address the idea of “Community Building.”
Action: Finding speakers for the AGM
• Jen has personal contact @ Artscape and will follow up.
• Avrum to speak with Joe Mihevic about link to person @Barn’s project as potential speaker.

Park/ Playground: awaiting written confirmation for monies designated for Vermont Square Park/Playground from Adam Vaughan’s office.
Discussion ensued regarding process involved in Park/Playground redevelopment:
• Hold open forums and build on information gathered in community survey. Review and expand on survey. Neighbourhood consultation process;
• Organize design Charettes: As a community-building exercise to encourage residents to become stake-holders in the process of defining and realizing the values inherent to their community. The Charette will serve as an idea incubator, encouraging the potential for multiple ideas and presenting alternate visions for the hub of our neighbourhood, Vermont Square Park;
• Need to bring in (as Avrum suggests) “Heavy weights.” Those with ideas and skills to interact AND present to City.
Avrum would like to be a big part of this endeavour.

Constitution: Copy of proposed constitution on SVRA website as point of discussion/comment.
Up for discussion: 1) Membership fees (amount, timelines, duration, due date) and;
2) Change of AGM date: one time amendment owing to Councillor Vaughan’s schedule. Amend permanently to “spring.”

Meet and Greet Yard Sale: Marketing strategy piggy backing off annual plant sale held on lawn outside of St. Alban’s. Proceeds to benefit the SVRA.
Need: event planner.
Action: Chris to find out date for sale.
Leslie proposed the design and construction of an SVRA banner with the potential for a matching table cloth/banner/marker to be created by a local artisan.
Action: Leslie and Avrum to solicit talent and Jen to approach local business if support required (i.e., the sign shop on Bathurst next to Grapefruit Moon.)
Leslie posed the question of whether we , the SVRA and the community, might be able to encourage and assist in facilitating change – updating/amelioration to St. Alban’s Boys and Girl’s Club (for example, converting the pool to a saline model) as it is a focal point and important destination in our community.

Website: seatonvillage.ca is DONE! Yea Chris!!!
Hold on though!: Requires filler and is awaiting Committee updates

Crime: Graffiti is on the rise once again.
It was suggested the website create space for a blog and become host to some form of crime-tracker for all to log in to. This might provide a safe outlet to encourage residents to report crimes they see happening in the neighbourhood.
Jennifer spoke to Sean @ St Alban’s about the increase in graffiti throughout Seaton Village. He indicated they will be stepping up their community outreach and programming to accommodate “artistic types” in the ensuing months. Please speak to Sean at St. Alban’s for more information.
Jennifer suggested to Sean we create a directory hosted by St. Alban’s to link artists and residents willing to promote graffiti art on garages etc.
It was noted there exists no accountability or tracking system for crimes called in by citizens. Unless written up and filed by the police, there exists NO record/history of an incident/s that has been called in. Furthermore, there is no central system to cross reference between police/fire and ambulance…WHY???
Action: Jennifer will communicate with Ann Ein about police presence at the AGM and addressing some concerns with the officers in attendance then.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s