Monthly Archives: March 2009

March 17 Swarming Incident

(Reprinted from the March 18, 2009 CityNews.ca article, Police Searching For Numerous Suspects After Series Of Violent Swarmings In Annex Area and video):

“Police believe the same group of ill-mannered hoodlums may be responsible for a series of violent swarmings that began in the early afternoon Tuesday and culminated with a bloody attack just after 11pm that left a man with serious stab wounds.

The first incident took place just before 2pm when a man was surrounded and robbed at Christie Pits Park.  At 5pm, a similar attack went down near the Spadina Subway station.  That was followed by incidents at Bloor and Lippincott, and the most serious at Bloor and Bathurst.

Police say the three victims in the last attack were heading to a bar on Bloor Street to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day when they unfortunately encountered a group of young men who were sitting on the stairs in front of Central Tech High School.

Before they knew it, they were surrounded.  There have been conflicting reports concerning how many suspects were involved, but it’s believed to be anywhere from 7-12 people.

“One of the victims was stabbed in the kidney, the other was pepper sprayed and the third struck with an object,” explained Sgt. Lisa Ferris.

The stabbing victim managed to stumble to his home nearby for help, leaving an ominous trail of blood behind. His initial condition was grave, but he has since improved and is expected to survive.

Neighbours in the area were understandably shaken.

“My husband was out last night celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with some buddies…so it could have been him,” said Cheryl Kaplan.

So far police only have vague descriptions of the attackers, but they are sifting through video surveillance footage and are hopeful that arrests will soon be made.”

The SVRA is working alongside the other local Residents’ Associations and Business Associations to request an increased police presence in the Annex area during at risk hours to prevent these incidents from recurring.

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Safety

March SVRA Meeting Minutes

Seaton Village Residents Association Meeting Minutes March 11/09

Attendees: Chris Scott- Dixon, Leslie Endes, Joan MacCallum, Luke, Jennifer Hunter, Avrum Regenstaff, Rhoda Regenstaff, Carl Mollins.
February minutes approved by Chris and seconded by Joan.
Agenda for March 11th meeting approved.

AGM: New Date for Annual General meeting is Wednesday May 6th from 7-9pm at Palmerston Ave Public School.
Adam Vaughan is confirmed for the evening (thus the switch from April date.)
Speakers for the evening will address the idea of “Community Building.”
Action: Finding speakers for the AGM
• Jen has personal contact @ Artscape and will follow up.
• Avrum to speak with Joe Mihevic about link to person @Barn’s project as potential speaker.

Park/ Playground: awaiting written confirmation for monies designated for Vermont Square Park/Playground from Adam Vaughan’s office.
Discussion ensued regarding process involved in Park/Playground redevelopment:
• Hold open forums and build on information gathered in community survey. Review and expand on survey. Neighbourhood consultation process;
• Organize design Charettes: As a community-building exercise to encourage residents to become stake-holders in the process of defining and realizing the values inherent to their community. The Charette will serve as an idea incubator, encouraging the potential for multiple ideas and presenting alternate visions for the hub of our neighbourhood, Vermont Square Park;
• Need to bring in (as Avrum suggests) “Heavy weights.” Those with ideas and skills to interact AND present to City.
Avrum would like to be a big part of this endeavour.

Constitution: Copy of proposed constitution on SVRA website as point of discussion/comment.
Up for discussion: 1) Membership fees (amount, timelines, duration, due date) and;
2) Change of AGM date: one time amendment owing to Councillor Vaughan’s schedule. Amend permanently to “spring.”

Meet and Greet Yard Sale: Marketing strategy piggy backing off annual plant sale held on lawn outside of St. Alban’s. Proceeds to benefit the SVRA.
Need: event planner.
Action: Chris to find out date for sale.
Leslie proposed the design and construction of an SVRA banner with the potential for a matching table cloth/banner/marker to be created by a local artisan.
Action: Leslie and Avrum to solicit talent and Jen to approach local business if support required (i.e., the sign shop on Bathurst next to Grapefruit Moon.)
Leslie posed the question of whether we , the SVRA and the community, might be able to encourage and assist in facilitating change – updating/amelioration to St. Alban’s Boys and Girl’s Club (for example, converting the pool to a saline model) as it is a focal point and important destination in our community.

Website: seatonvillage.ca is DONE! Yea Chris!!!
Hold on though!: Requires filler and is awaiting Committee updates

Crime: Graffiti is on the rise once again.
It was suggested the website create space for a blog and become host to some form of crime-tracker for all to log in to. This might provide a safe outlet to encourage residents to report crimes they see happening in the neighbourhood.
Jennifer spoke to Sean @ St Alban’s about the increase in graffiti throughout Seaton Village. He indicated they will be stepping up their community outreach and programming to accommodate “artistic types” in the ensuing months. Please speak to Sean at St. Alban’s for more information.
Jennifer suggested to Sean we create a directory hosted by St. Alban’s to link artists and residents willing to promote graffiti art on garages etc.
It was noted there exists no accountability or tracking system for crimes called in by citizens. Unless written up and filed by the police, there exists NO record/history of an incident/s that has been called in. Furthermore, there is no central system to cross reference between police/fire and ambulance…WHY???
Action: Jennifer will communicate with Ann Ein about police presence at the AGM and addressing some concerns with the officers in attendance then.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

SVRA Constitution 2009 Amendment

The following is the proposed Seaton Village Residents’ Association Constitution, to be voted on during the Annual General Meeting, tentatively set for May 6, 2009. SVRA members are encouraged to review the document and bring any discussion points to the March 11, 2009 SVRA meeting. – CSD

Seaton Village Residents’ Association Constitution

1. The name of the Association is SEATON VILLAGE RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION. (SVRA)

2. Boundaries:

The area served by SVRA is Bathurst Street west to Christie Street and Bloor Street West north to the railway tracks north of Dupont Street.

3. Purpose:

To safeguard and promote the interests of the residents of Seaton Village.

4. Mandate:

  • To be non-partisan and inclusive;
  • To be a forum and an opportunity for residents to be involved with preserving and improving the area’s present characteristics as a livable, urban neighbourhood;
  • To consider all subjects tending to promote the welfare of the area and to preserve and improve its present characteristics;
  • To consider, recommend, and promote such legislative, municipal, and other measures as may be deemed wise and expedient to the long-term interests of the area;
  • To be a credible, powerful and representative voice for the area, neighbourhood, and community.

5. Membership:

  • A member is any person who has contributed to the annual membership fee, who is over the age of eighteen (18) years, who resides in the area, and who does not hold a political office.
  • All residents who live in the defined area have the right to attend and to speak at General Meetings, subject to approval of the chair of the meeting.
  • A member shall have the right to vote and to elect the members of the Executive Committee at the Annual General Meetings of SVRA.
  • The Executive Committee may confer membership status as deemed appropriate.

6. Membership Dues:

  • Membership dues shall be determined from time to time by the Executive Committee and approved by a vote of SVRA membership.
  • Annual membership will run twelve (12) months from date of payment as prescribed by the Executive Committee.

7. Meetings:

  • General Meetings shall be held monthly from September-May.
  • A quorum shall consist of at least nine (9) members. Meetings are adjudicated by “Robert’s Rules of Order.”
  • The Annual General Meeting will take place in May. The Executive shall give written notice of the time, date, and purpose of this meeting at least thirty (30) days in advance.

8. Elections, Nominations, and Voting:

  • Elections shall be held in May each year at the Annual General Meeting.
  • Voting shall be by secret ballot unless a majority of the members indicate that a show of hands is acceptable.
  • Members shall be eligible to vote. Members are those who contributed to their membership for the year previous to the annual general meeting.

9. Executive Committee:

  • The Executive Committee shall consist of the following officers: President, Vice President, Past President, Secretary, Treasurer, and up to five (5) additional members, who represent SVRA sub-committees
  • The Executive Committee shall meet as often as the President or Vice President requires. A quorum shall consist of not less than three members of the Executive Committee. Resignations from the Executive Committee must be submitted in writing.
  • Ex-officio membership on the Executive Committee committee may be extended to community organizations, as determined appropriate by the Executive.
  • Members are eligible to stand for the Executive Committee and can be nominated before or during the Annual General Meeting.
  • Executive Members shall be on the Executive Committee for a period of one year and may be re-elected indefinitely.
  • Neither Executive Members nor members shall receive remuneration for their committee work.

10. Duties of the Executive Committee:

  • The President shall facilitate all General Meetings of SVRA and all meetings of the Executive Committee, act as a spokesperson for SVRA, and cast a deciding vote in the event of a tie.
  • The Vice President shall act in the absence of the President or whenever so designated.
  • The Past President shall advise and assist the Executive Committee and may be designated to act on behalf of the President or Vice President.
  • The Secretary shall record all proceedings, receive and conduct correspondence as needed, prepare, and (after confirmation of the President) sign and ultimately present them to the membership. The Secretary shall also keep a confidential record of the names and addresses of all members and be responsible for the collection of annual fees (unless this matter is delegated to a Member-at-Large).
  • The Treasurer shall receive all monies, issue and sign cheques for payment of authorized expenditures, report on the state of the finances, and submit books and vouchers for audit on request. The Treasurer will also be responsible for making public the association’s Annual Financial statements within six (6) months of the end of the fiscal year.
  • Members-at-Large may perform other duties as may be needed, from time to time.
  • All cheques shall be signed by the Treasurer and a member of the executive Committee designated by the Executive Committee.
  • Any member of the Executive Committee absent from three (3) consecutive Executive meetings, without good cause, shall lose executive membership status. Loss of executive membership status may be appealed to the general membership.

11. Changes to the Constitution:

The Constitution replaces all previous constitutions. It may be altered or amended at any Annual General Meeting of SVRA:

  • by notice of Motion in writing,
  • after one (1) month has elapsed,
  • by a majority vote of the members present.

1 Comment

Filed under Legal

March SVRA Meeting

The March SVRA meeting will be held on Wednesday, February 11th at 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM at St. Alban’s Boys and Girls Club, 843 Palmerston AvenueToronto.  Topics of discussion will include:

  • Annual General Meeting, date and agenda.
  • Park improvement and development plans.
  • May meet and greet / garage sale.

Committee updates and website development will be discussed, along with any followup from the February meeting.

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings