Monthly Archives: January 2009

SVRA Meeting Minutes, January 2009

January 14, 2009 Meeting minutes

Attendees: Dale Duncan, Leslie Endes, Greg Gaetz, Jennifer Hunter, Howard Jerove, Arlene Lechinsky, Bob Luker, Joan MacCallum, Eric Mills, Susan O’Conner,  Chris Scott-Dixon, Peter Smith, Claire Stark, Olesia Stefurak, Rebecca Sugarman.

December 8, 2009 Meeting minutes approved by Chris, seconded by Rebecca.

January 14, 2009 agenda approved.

MPAC Presentation: Eric introduced MPAC, concerns which arose regarding rate of property tax increased for Seaton Village. MPAC presenters: Sabrina, Rob Merchant, Jeff.  Highlights:
– MPAC assessment is now done on a four year cycle.
– Assessment phased in over the four year assessment cycle.
– Assessment decreases are implemented immediately.
– Request for reconsideration (RFR) deadline is March 31st of taxation year.
– Before making a RFR, ensure that the data for your property is accurate.
– MPAC can assist the RFR by reviewing your documentation in advance of submission.
– Seaton Village (ward 20) assessment has increased 29% from January 1, 2005 to January 1, 2008.
– In an assessment, your property type is compared for all similar property types in the neighbourhood.
– Assessment is based on the City of Toronto’s fiscal needs, so fluctuations in real estate market price not likely to reduce property tax.
– Senior or disabled exemption is available.
– Further enquiries to MPAC can be made via e-mail: enquiry@mpac.ca

Website: Rebecca requested any volunteers for web design support in order to update the SVRA webpage.  Chris identified the availability of free software and hosting and offered to assist in developing a new web page.
Action: Chris to procure the software and server on which the website can be placed and to help develop a website.

Annual Meeting: Rebecca identified that volunteers are needed to organize and help out with the annual SVRA meeting tentatively scheduled for the end of April, 2009.

Playground: The Vermont Square playground has been dropped from the city’s priority list and it was identified that it could be another twelve years before the playground was back on the priority list.  A playground assessment has been requested through the playground assessor, Bob Duguid.  A request was made for information on how the city determines how finances are allocated for playgrounds and how to get on the priority list.
Action: Dale to work with Bob Duguid to determine how finances are allocated and how to get on the priority list.

Seaton Forest: Volunteers have completed the door-to-door canvassing of the neighbourhood to provide information on the initiative and to get residents to sign up for a city tree without much success.  Information on the Seaton Forest initiative is now posted on the public board in Vermont Square.  Leslie recommended that the initiative be performed again through the years as the neighbourhood changes.

Planning: Dale discussed new planning development requests in the local area of ward 20.  Highlights:
– 330 Dupont: request for development of twenty and thirty story high rises and artist space at Dupont and Spadina by the Wynn Brothers developers.  The proposal would not be supported.
– Yarmouth parking: a request to change parking on Yarmouth parking to the south side of the street has been forwarded.  Adam Vaughan can approach council for alternating parking if need be.  Ron Hamilton was identified as the parking manager.
– A Karaoke application on Bloor was made with no objections.
– New development applications have dropped off to zero since summer, 2008.
– Korean church land development on Christie application for eleven town homes and some semi-detached made some years ago.  Development may be on hold.
– The Bloor Visioning study has been made to Bathurst street only and has not yet been extended to the west.
– The neighbourhood mapping exercise by Ryerson is complete and is available for review on adamvaughan.ca through the community maps tab.

Peace Zone: Howard proposed that Seaton Village be established as a Peace Zone, wherein peace and a culture of peace would be promoted.  The Season for Nonviolence program and Millennium Goal Project were identified as positive examples.

Next Meeting: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 @ 7:00 PM, St. Alban’s Boys and Girls Club.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Meetings

Community Events Test

Community events can be posted by SVRA members.

2 Comments

Filed under Community Events

SVRA Meeting Minutes, May 2008

Attended: Suzanna Birchwood (President), Rebecca Sugarman (Vice President), Jennifer Hunter (Secretary/Chair- Playground Cttee), Joan McCallum (Treasurer), Leslie Endes (Chair- Planning Cttee), Greg Gaetz (Chair – Park Cttee), Roderick Fisher (Chair- Communications Cttee), Ann Ein (Chair Safety Cttee), Councillor Adam Vaughan, Shawn Evans (St. Alban’s Club), Mimi Choi, Pat Cross, Peter Groves, Maggie Groves, Katie Thomas, Shannon McGaw, Mimi Choi, Arlene L., Howard. Litsa Sourtzis,

Jenny Foster Stacie Morri, Hal Kent 

Absent: Linda Reid (Seaton Forest Cttee)

 

I. St. Alban’s will he hosting their annual street festival Saturday June 7th

The community can go to www.stalbansclub.ca/youth.programming for information about the event.

Shawn Evans (St. Alban’s Boys and Girl’s Club) spoke to the SVRA regarding contact with the neighbourhood to facilitate a scavenger hunt involving the St. Alban’s youth and members of the community.

St. Alban’s will be launching a graffiti program and will be installing skate park components in their gym for skateboarders/BMX and flat land riders to enjoy. For more information on these programs please contact Shawn Evans:  shawn@stalbasclub.ca

Actions:  Sign up with Shawn to participate in the amazing race.  

SB/JH to accompany Shawn on his walkabout Palmerston to explain the event to neighbours.

 

II. Ryerson Mapping Project 

The Association voted in favour of proceeding with the mapping project as follows.  See previous minutes for detailed discussion.

Yeas: 11  Nays: 2 Abstentions: 6

This result is subject to:

opening up discussion to the community and forwarding results to planning committee; recommendations of the Planning Committee to be forwarded to the SVRA.

 

III. Planning Committee’s Name-Your-Lane Campaign

In conjunction with the City, the Planning Cttee is hoping to initiate a neighbourhood lane naming campaign.

One of the goals is to promote the SVRA.

Marketing will include (door -to-door) distribution of flyers and information posted on the SVRA website.

The Planning Committee is looking for support from Adam Vaughan’s office with photocopying the flyers.

The SVRA approved a motion that the Planning Committee should proceed developing their Name-Your-Lane Campaign, and prepared a larger plan that links it to promoting the SVRA generally.  Motion approved unanimously.

 

IV. Traffic and Safety

Ann distributed copies of 14 Division’s Community Bulletin newsletter.

Katie Thomas (representing Palmerston Ave Day Care) spoke to concerns with vehicles speeding along Barton. Litsa Sourtzis, Stacie Morris, and Hal Kent also presented concerns to the group.

The volume of traffic and speed cars that proceed along Barton is of great concern to area residents.  . The street is a main thoroughfare from east of Bathurst to Shaw Street.

A petition was circulated showing strong support for taking measures to increase safety by reducing the speed, density and volume of traffic flow during key hours of the day.

Councillor Vaughan suggested some individual action to promote traffic calming such as   park cars 6” further from the curb  thereby narrowing the street.

Action:

Councillor Vaughan will look into a no left turn onto Barton from Christie 7-9am;

SB to follow up with the Councillor’s office on the research results on transportation presented at the March 2008 SVRA meeting.  That request was to have the raised pavements installed around the park – which could also be extended to Barton – when the streets are up for resurfacing.  City staff are checking the schedule for resurfacing.

 

Yarmouth Gardens’ Maverick Parking Permit request

Yarmouth Gardens submitted a request for a reduction in their permit parking hours from 12:01 am – 10:00am to 12:01 am – 8:00am.

Rebecca Sugarman suggested the process, in fact, ought to be (re)directed to the SVRA.

Adam told us the City looks for clear consensus when altering policy/decision-making. Petitions will be reviewed. There is currently no indication a change in parking times is unanimously sought after among residents of Yarmouth Gardens.

V. Communications

Roderick informed us the website is being visited with, for the most part, planning related searches (development and Committee of Adjustment.)

SB called for each committee to update website with information about their committees’ activities so as to provide current material for the website.

Roderick will provide links so all committees and sub subcommittees can be accessed directly online.

 

Development and Other Area Issues

Shannon McGaw addressed a development slated for the Rent a Wreck site (next to Papa Mios) along Dupont.

Decision was deferred by the Committee of Adjustment.

Action

a) Adam will convene a meeting with the planning committee/developer and area residents to work towards shaping a structure that is appropriate to the configurations of the site in question;

b) If this does not yield desired result(s), the City will take action to undermine the development.

 

VI. Park Committee

The April 19th leaf raking and park clean up was very successful garnering a lot of community involvement (and approximately 50+ bags of leaves!)

The Bocce ball courts have been rebuilt and a letter of thanks will be sent to thank Brenda Librecz, General Manager, Parks, Forestry and Recreation and Mark Emslie for this effort. 

Cedarvale Park: Suzanna noticed Cedarvale Park, just to the north of us, is receiving $100, 000. The playground in this park was rebuilt in 2001.

Adam explained the City has both a maintenance budget and a capital investment budget. We may not see funding for our playground until 2011.

There are currently 2 ways a park/playground would receive capital for reinvestment: 

Bill C37: Capital from new development. Problem is that access is limited;

Buildings now being developed are subject to a new and enhanced Park Levy. Until January 2009, the levy will be 12% on new builds, up from the previous 5%.

Adam informed us a new parks management model is being developed to localize taxes and funnel the funds into parks.

He states it is “critical” we take over our parks as neighbourhoods and manage them in conjunction with the City Parks Dep’t, to ensure delivery of service and maintenance of community vision. 

Adam/ Brenda Librecz will get back to SB regarding funding for Cedarvale.

 

The New Blue Bins  

Call Councillor Vaughan’s office if you can’t accommodate the blue bin and need an alternate solution.  They will arrange for a ‘site visit’ to assess. 

1 Comment

Filed under Meetings

Status Updates on Development Applications in Seaton Village

  • 62 Vermont Ave. – Proposed third storey addition to private single family home. Will go before the C. of A. Wednesday June 11, 2008.
  • 613 Dupont St. – Proposed 4 Storey mixed-use development is located on the south side of Dupont between Clinton and Manning. The proposal is for retail at grade with 2 residential units above. This application is seeking 8 separate minor variances. It has so far been opposed both by immediate neighbours as well as the Councillors office. It was deferred at the May 14, 2008 C. of A. Hearing and is currently being further discussed amoung stakeholders. 
  • 255 Christie St. – Korean Church Site – is currently up for sale. The original sale price of $3.95 million has been recently reduced to $3.55 million (any takers?). The site has been approved for 11 town homes to face onto Yarmouth and a pair of semi’s facing onto Christie. This project was heavily debated and our community helped bring the proposed density down to a reasonable level. Our only regret is that the development largely turns its side to Christie St. and does little to foster a more vigorous pedestrian and light commercial character along this bordering Main Street. 
  • 39 – 49 Christie St. – World Vision Foundation (Charitable Institution Bldg) just north of the Christie Subway Station and Nursing Home. On going improvements to this great ‘Immigrant Welcome Center’ required some technical approvals at the C. of A. which everyone seems to have been if favour of.

Leave a comment

Filed under Planning